For the cake…
175g self raising flour
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1-2 tablespoons of milk
For the topping…
1 tablespoon of milk
60g flaked almonds
2 tablespoons cornflour
3 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
90ml double cream whipped
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas mark 5 and sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Cream the butter until soft and gradually add the sugar, beating until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time and add the vanilla.
- Using a metal spoon, fold in the milk and the flour, alternating between the two. Use enough milk to bring the mixture to thick dropping consistency. Grease and flour a springform cake tin and spoon in the cake mixture.
- Heat the topping ingredients in a saucepan to just dissolve the sugar. Pour on the topping. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Combine the sugar, cornflour and egg yolks in a bowl and whisk until light. Gently pour on the milk and gradually whisk into the egg yolk mixture. Strain the mixture into a saucepan and cook over a very gentle heat until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Add the vanilla and allow to cool. Once completely cool fold in the cream.
- To assemble the cake, remove it from the tin and cut in half, horizontally through the middle. Sandwich the cake together with the filling and chill thoroughly before serving.