(For the choux pastry)
200ml cold water
4 teaspoons caster sugar
85g unsalted butter
115g plain flour
3 medium eggs, beaten
600ml double cream whipped
(For the chocolate sauce)
80g caster sugar
200g quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
~ METHODS ~
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees farenheit or 200 degrees centigrade.
- For the choux pastry, place the water, sugar and butter into a large saucepan. Heat gently until the butter has melted.
- Turn up the heat, then quickly pour in the flour and salt. Remove from the heat and beat the mixture vigorously until a smooth paste is formed.
- Once the mixture comes away from the side of the pan leave to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, until the mixture is smooth and glossy and has a soft dropping consistency – you might not need it all.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet. Using a piping bag and a plain 1cm nozzle, pipe the mixture into small balls across the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden-brown – if the profiteroles are too pale they will become soggy when cool.
- Remove from the oven and turn the oven off. Prick the base of each profiterole with a skewer. Place back onto the baking sheet with the hole in the base facing up and return to the oven for five minutes. The heat remaining in the oven helps to dry out the middle of the profiteroles.
- Place on a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Using a piping bag and a plain 1cm nozzle fill the profiteroles with the whipped cream. Stack onto a serving dish in a roughly pyramid shape.
- For the chocolate sauce, place the water and sugar into a small saucepan and bring to the boil to make a syrup.
- Reduce the heat and place the chocolate into a heatproof bowl set over the pan. Heat, stirring occasionally, until melted. Take the pan off the heat, pour the syrup mixture into the chocolate and stir until smooth and well combined.
- Allow to cool for a minute or two and then pour/drizzle over the profiterole stack.
[amazon_my_favorites design=”1″ width=”640″ title=”” market_place=”GB” ASIN=”B000W9E54G, B0000C6WPT, B00018GJ06″ color_theme=”Pistachio” columns=”3″ rows=”1″ outer_background_color=”” inner_background_color=”” background_color=”” border_color=”” header_text_color=”#FFFFFF” linked_text_color=”” body_text_color=”” shuffle_products=”True” show_image=”True” show_price=”True” show_rating=”True” rounded_corners=”False”/]