160g plain white flour
80g white sugar
130g softened butter
1 teaspoon of caster sugar
200ml of double cream, whipped
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a baking tray. Wash the strawberries, slice and sprinkle with caster sugar.
- In a mixing bowl beat the butter with the sugar until smooth. Stir in the flour until well incorporated.
- Using your hands press together into a dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out to about 1cm in thickness. Cut out the shortbread using a cookie cutter and lay in rows about 5cm apart on the baking tray.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until pale golden. Lift off carefully with a fish slice and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Now that the shortbread is stone cold spread them with the whipped cream and layer with strawberry slices.
Makes 12-16 strawberry shortcakes.
Top tip: Try using other summer fruits such as raspberries, redcurrants and cherries.